Thursday, August 25, 2011

DIY: Journal

I've always loved the look of DIY Art Journals, but I never really had a need for one.  Or know-how.

Yesterday I took the Level One class for the Crystalline Consciousness Technique.  You can read about it and the woman who taught the class, Amy, did a fantastic job.  I think I learned a lot and we participated in a few mini sessions which were really relaxing.  The Level One course is meant to "activate the Crystalline Electromagnetic Field" which surrounds your body and all living things.  Please read more about it if you are at all interested in Reiki or other energy healing methods/modalities.  I found it quite enlightening.

During the activation of my energy field I was quite inspired to paint.  I have a lot of creative energies already, and this just turned them up a notch!  It was mentioned to consider journaling our Intentions for our Energy Fields, so I thought it would be fun to make my own journal!

I found an old sketch book that doesn't get used and I had some blank very thick cardboard that was used as packaging materials that my boyfriend found at work.  He said, "I thought you could find something to use it for."  Too true!  I grabbed up my favorite scrapbooking papers, some Mod Podge, a ruler, and got set to work!  I only have my after photos to show you, but I'll try to do some explaining along the way.

Ssupplies: That's cotton crochet thread that I used to tie it up.
OK, So you got your normal Mod Podge that worked perfect.  Use a medium amount if you have a really thick cardboard to use as your cover.  If your cardstock is thinner, you'd want to use less because of bubbling.  Don't forget to use a brayer or popsicle stick to flatten out the pages.







This is the front of mine.

I liked the idea of happy words to put on the front.  Just seemed fitting.  Feel free to embellish it more.  This is just how far I got today, but who knows, I might go back later and add some beads, buttons, maybe paint to it.  It could be really fun doing the front page as well!!







The back.

 The back is nice and happy too.  I glued these on just like you might think, measured the paper, applied the glue to the CARDBOARD then placed on the paper.  Wait a few minutes for it to dry, then start folding over the edges to the inside of your journal.  I didn't do fancy corners, I was hoping to cover them.  Didn't work out so well, but I still like it.






The inside of the front.
I don't know why this is blurry.  But just giving you an idea of what I did, these are Cricut cuts from another project, just the "insides" so I used those for some embellishing.  The green paper I chose didn't cover the whole back, so I took skinny strips I had otherwise leftover, and cut those to cover the cardboard.  Nothing is too well thought out, but its handmade, so it can't be perfect!







The back inside.

I had this fancy paper that had a bunny cutout, I thought it would be cool to put something behind it, inside the cutout portion.  I found some scrap paper that said "Know Your Tools" on it.  How fitting for my journal!  So I glued it all down.  Then I looked at it....its all upside down!  Oh well!







I think my first attempt turned out really great!  I got some inspiration from these great DIY-ers:

Lil Blue Boo I love her idea with the gesso, its more fitting of an Art Journal
Serve Northwest Washington An Upcycled Book Journal, very crafty!
The Creative Place Ideas for Travel Journals, I must try this!
Samantha Hahn She gives lots of photos and has instructions for all levels of DIY-ers

No comments:

Post a Comment